Monday, January 30, 2012

"Not enough Words"

How many times have we heard the following lines:

"I do not know how to put into words my gratitude for all of the ..."
or
"I do not have enough words to thank you for ..."
or
"No words can express my gratitude"


These lines are paradoxical in themselves if we look at them objectively. The intention of any language is to convey the thoughts of a person. It helps a person understand what another person has in mind. So, as long as one is able to understand what he is being told, the language serves its purpose.


When we say that "there are not enough words", we mean  that the language is deficient of words to express the feelings that we may have, owing to which we are not able to communicate what we want to. But the sentences referred above have the same effect as the so called "non-existent" words! 


Hence, when we use any of the above sentences, we are actually contradicting ourselves. We are trying to say we cannot express the gratitude when by saying so, we actually are doing it!

B5E9T9EYUNKC 

3 comments:

  1. I believe that you did awesome decision the moment when you picked out this topic of this article over here. Do you generally compose your blog posts all by yourself or maybe you work with a business partner or a helper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your compliment Infinity. I compose my blog posts by myself as and when some idea presents itself to me. So my blog posts are intrinsically my ramblings on absolutely random topics ;)

      Delete